Piaggio Aero Industries is the only company in the world active both in the aircraft and the aero-engine business.
It currently manufactures parts and performs maintenance, repair and overhaul operations on jet, turboshaft and turboprop engines under licence from Rolls-Royce (UK) and Honeywell (USA); it also holds Long Term Agreements from other Original Equipment Manufacturers, including Pratt & Whitney, Pratt & Whitney Canada and Microturbo, whose engines power civil and military aircraft and helicopters.
In June 2000, Piaggio Aero Industries signed a collaboration agreement with Rolls - Royce to join the RTM 322 turbo shaft engine programme as a manufacturing partner. Currently, Piaggio Aero Industries manufactures a significant share of the RTM322 engine parts.
In 2003 Piaggio Aero Industries was selected by Pratt & Whitney to supply the Low Pressure Turbine case and the bearing compartment housings for the F.135 engine, powering the F. 35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).
Piaggio Aero Industries has also experience in the area of infrared suppression systems (IRS) for helicopters; the Agusta A129, part of the Italian Army fleet, is currently equipped with an IRS, designed, tested and manufactured by Piaggio Aero Industries.
In 2006 Piaggio Aero Industries has signed an agreement with Pratt & Whitney Canada to acquire 25% of the share capital of P&WC Turbo Engines Corp., which is in charge of the production of the PW206 – PW207 helicopter engines. The PW206/PW207 is an engine of unparalleled efficiency in the 600-900 SHP class, and fits out highly successful helicopter models such as the Agusta A109 Power, the Eurocopter EC/135, the Bell Helicopter B427, the MD Helicopters MD900 and the Kazan Ansat.
Piaggio Aero is entered into a startegic alliance with one of the world’s most prominent manufacturers of aircraft engines, squarely hitting its target of increasing its business in a top technological area such as mechanical engineering for helicopters.
The following agreements and licences are current:
Engine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul with
• Rolls-Royce Plc. (UK):
- Viper 632-43 (powering the advanced trainer Aermacchi MB339)
- Gem II MK 1004 turboshaft (powering the Agusta A129 Mangusta light attack helicopter and the Agusta Westland Lynx)
• Rolls-Royce Corporation (US..)
- Model 250-C20B, -C20-R/1 turboshaft (powering the Agusta A109, AB206 and MD 500 helicopters)
• Honeywell (formerly Lycoming / AlliedSignal):
- T53-L-13B, -13B/D turboshaft engine for the Agusta-Bell AB205 military helicopter
- T55-L-712E turboshaft engine series for the Agusta-Boeing CH47 Chinook military helicopter family
- LTP 101-700A-1A turboprop engine powering the P166 DL3
Engine parts and assemblies manufacture for the following engines:
• Rolls-Royce Plc. (UK):
- Viper 11, Viper 540, Viper 632, Gem II MK 1004, RTM 322-08
• Pratt & Whitney Canada
- PT6, PW100 and JT15
- PW 206/207 (in process)
• Pratt & Whitney